A truly American staple.
Today, June 10th, is #NationalIcedTeaDay!
Whether you serve it up with lemon, mint, strawberry, or other fruits; plain good ol’ iced tea is always refreshing on a hot day. This beverage has an American identity solely because other countries prefer hot over iced, and all I have to say is that they’re missing out! So without further ado, let’s get into these fast facts!
1. At participating locations, Starbucks and Teavana stores have deals on their iced teas. Starbucks is offering a buy one get one free deal of their freshly brewed iced tea selections. Teavana is offering a chance to win free loose leaf tea for a year; a free twenty-two ounce iced tea; or 20%, 30%, or 40% off of full-priced items. Their website also offers free shipping and $25 off of a $60 purchase.
2. Roughly 85% of the tea Americans drink is iced.
3. Iced tea became an alternative to wine, beer, and liquor during Prohibition.
4. The beverage increased in popularity once ice was more readily available in the mid-to-late 1800s.
5. Since we are California-based, the fact that a recipe for “California Iced Tea” exists makes us very happy. Unfortunately, no actual tea is involved but here it is! Cheers/Salud!
Fill with 1/2 sweet and sour mix
1/2 oz Orange Curacao liqueur
oz light rum
1/2 oz tequila
1/2 oz gin
1/2 oz vodka
Fill with 1/2 orange juice
1 splash 7-Up® soda
Pour ingredients into a collins glass filled with ice. Garnish with a lemon twist or an orange slice.
Hope you’ve enjoyed these Fast Facts. Drink up!