Opening up this can of….tuna trivia
by Alexander Quebec
Tuna fish is super popular with many around the world, either in sandwiches or in sushi, but did you know that they weren’t one of the most sought after fish species in the world until recently? Or that they are in danger of going extinct? Learn more with our fast facts on Tuna
- Tuna’s are long lived fish, some can live up to 50 years.
Most live only 15 years, but some have been around for as long as 50 years.
- Tuna are some of the only fish capable of maintaining a higher internal temperature than the waters around them.
Known as Endothermy, Tuna fishes are able to maintain an internal temperature that is different than what is outside. This supports faster swimming speeds and longer swimming ranges as tuna are predators for much smaller fish. Mackerel Sharks are also known to have this ability.
- The highest selling fish was a Tuna sold in Japan that went for over a million dollars.
It was sold at the Tsujiki fish market in 2013 for $1.7 Million US Dollars in 2014, weighing in at over 489 lbs (222 kgs)
- Tuna was sold for pennies a pound until about the late 1960’s, when the popularity of sushi exploded
Sold for pennies and used mainly in cat food, the rising popularity of sashimi drove up the prices
- Tuna is an endangered species and needs our help
The Monterey Bay Aquarium has an app that can make recommendations on which sea foods are safe and sustainable to eat, helping us maintain the ecosystem and leave enough for future generations.
So what do you think guys? Learn something new today? Have something to share? Let us know in the comments below